As some of you may already know, I am currently taking a class on wildlife rehabilitation. By the end of this course, I hope to obtain my licenses and permits required to rehabilitate mammals and birds in my area!
My city is in desperate need of a wildlife rehab center. This…
REALLY just wanna take this chance to remind the people who follow me to not kill/trap opossums if they’re in your yard, and do not call animal control! Seriously.
- Opossums are literally 100% BIOLOGICALLY INCAPABLE of carrying rabies. Their body temperature is too cool to incubate it properly.
- Opossums are actually quite gentle and NOCTURNAL, so if they’re roaming, they’ve probably gotten lost, been injured, and are looking for a place to hide.
- Young opossums tend to try to climb into garbage cans when they’re starving. This is because THEY ARE LITERALLY STARVING. Don’t fucking shoot them or hit them with things because you wanna be some fucking macho top-of-the-food-chain cocksucker.
- Mama possums are amazing mothers and if you encounter an “aggressive” opossum, it’s probably because she’s got babies hanging off her nipple and she’s freaking out. They’re clumsy. Sometimes they don’t hear you coming and you catch each other off guard.
- Wanna lure an opossum off of your property? You can set up a box with some greens and cat kibble in it, hide it well, and lure them out that way. They’re actually quite harmless and keep other predators away. they eat lotsa gross stuff.
- Opossum mamas who get hit by cars often still have their helpless babies attached to them. Possums get a bad rep and people say they are “the dumbest animal”, but they are incredible creatures who have been around since the days of fucking dinosaurs so treat them well, okay?
I love dems
More than once I’ve been in my yard at night just haning out and there’s one frozen like “O,O Oh. Um. Don’t notice me.” and if i look away they go off. I love em tho. Way way way less mischievous than coons.
I would just like to add to this by saying that opossums are not literally 100% incapable of getting rabies. There have been reports, but they are very rare! Opossums can get rabies if they are already ill and have a fever (thus, elevated body temperature capable of incubating the disease). HOWEVER, it is VERY RARE and UNLIKELY that the opossum you have roaming in your back yard is rabid! Even if it is standing very still and drooling - this is just an intimidation tactic - not a symptom of rabies!
I would also like to add that if you do hit a possum on the road, or if you see one dead (and it is safe to do so) please stop and check to see if it is a mama possum with babies. If babies are still alive, get them out of the pouch and contact a local wildlife rehabber ASAP. DO NOT try to care for them on your own! Pouched babies must be tube-fed which is a very dangerous and difficult process, and should not be attempted by anyone but an experienced wildlife rehabber!
So yes. Everything in this post is good advice. Opossums are amazing, so be nice to them!
Hey everyone. I just got this vulture in. Haven’t done an exam on him yet (waiting on an extra pair of hands) but it sounds like he was grounded in a neighborhood in Greenville for about 5 days. He will most likely require care from someone who knows more about vultures. The problem is, we cannot afford to transport this guy right now. We need help! Many of you know that we do this work voluntarily and pay for everything out of pocket. If you can, please consider donating to our rescue! This vulture really needs your help! You can donate any amount of money through Paypal, to the email address: email@example.com!
If all of my followers donated just 50 cents it would be more than enough to pay for this bird to get the help he needs! Please donate!
Thank you to everyone who reblogged!
Unfortunately we have still only received $3 to help this guy out!
This is not enough to get the vulture the care he needs! Please help!
I was finally able to do an examination on him and discovered a compound fracture in his left wing elbow joint. This is a serious injury - especially since it is 5 days old now, and he is severely emaciated because of it!
Listen guys, I know it isn’t the usual ‘cute’ animal that is fun to reblog and support. Like a kitten or a dog. But every animal deserves a happy, healthy live. this guy is suffering with pain and starvation and he needs help.
Reblog and donate if you can. It won’t even take that much.